Spring / Summer,
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Spring / Summer||2015||02/13/2015 **||Rolling Admission||05/11/2015||08/10/2015|
|NOTE: There are several types of programs taking place in the spring/summer semester at JCMU. Visit https://jcmu.isp.msu.edu/index.cfm?FuseAction=Programs.ListAll to view the programs and their respective start and end dates.|
|Fall||2015||03/06/2015 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
|Academic Year||2015-2016||03/06/2015 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.
Japan Center for Michigan Universities (JCMU)
Location: Hikone, Japan
Programs: Semester, Year, Spring, Summer
The Japan Center for Michigan Universities (JCMU) study abroad program is a product of the strong sister-state relationship between the State of Michigan and Shiga Prefecture. It is located on the shore of Lake Biwa in the City of Hikone, Shiga Prefecture, Japan. Our programs are dedicated to building relationships between Japanese, Americans, and other nationalities through active learning and participation in language, culture, family life and society. JCMU has been welcoming students of all majors since 1989. Students do not need to attend a member university to participate.
What to learn about the city of Hikone? Visit Lonely Planet here.
Will vary based on program choice.
Program Dates & Deadlines
Will vary based on program choice.
Programs of Study
- Semester or Year Japanese Language & Culture
- Summer Intensive Language & Culture
- Summer Internship
- Comparative Health Care
- Comparative Social Organization & Control
- Cross-Cultural Business Communication
- Environmental Sciences in Japan
- Hospitality & Tourism in Japan
Students register for specified courses at UM-Flint based on program choice.
Language(s) of Instruction
Japanese & English
Will vary based on program choice. Students are billed a program fee which usually includes tuition, housing, books, course materials, and health insurance.
Students can live at the JCMU apartments or choose a home stay.
- JCMU Apartments: Student apartments are designed for double occupancy, each with a private bedroom/study and shared kitchen and bathroom. Each apartment is separately metered for utilities, including telephones, and the Housing Fee covers apartment rent, utilities, maintenance, and interim period cleaning. Kitchenware (dishes, utensils, pots and pans) come standard in each room, as does bedding. The kitchen is equipped with a stovetop (no oven), sink, cupboards, mini-fridge, microwave and toaster oven. Food, toiletries, and cleaning supplies must be purchased by the students. Students must purchase their own food from the local grocery story and cook their own meals, though a CoCo's restaurant is attached to the JCMU Academic Building and many students eat there for lunch.
- Home Stay: Home stays with local families offer the ultimate opportunity to meet and interact with Japanese people. All students participating in a home stay will have their own bedroom and no home stay will be further than an hour's commute from JCMU by train and bicycle. JCMU will cover the cost of commuting on class days if the student needs to use a train. Home stays will include two meals a day, breakfast and dinner. The student is then responsible for lunch and any additional meals or snacks they may want.
- Airfare to Japan
- Visa (if required)
- Local transporation in Japan
HOW TO APPLY
Check eligibility requirements and dates for the program
Register for the exchange program by clicking “Apply Now” below and complete the online pre-application form
Meet with the academic coordinator of the program (Dr. Roy Hanashiro) to review program and course registration information
Apply and submit all requested items to JCMU
Register for the appropriate course(s) in SIS
Confirm housing arrangement
Apply for a student travel visa
Book airline ticket
Pay appropriate UM-Flint tuition/fees
Travel abroad and notify the UM-Flint Education Abroad Office of your safe arrival