NOTE: SIT will make every effort to maintain its programs as described. To respond to emergent situations, like COVID-19, SIT may have to modify programs. Visit the SIT website for more details.
Undertake Earth science fieldwork in the spectacular setting of the Nepal Himalaya, one of the most active mountain ranges in the world.
WHY STUDY IN NEPAL?
Tucked between China and India, Nepal is dominated by the Himalaya, known for many of Earth’s highest peaks and deepest gorges. Learn to “read” rocks and dive deep into geology to understand past and present Earth processes. Your geological trek will take you from the rain-soaked region south of the mountains, between two peaks higher than 8,000 meters, and to the arid edge of the Tibetan Plateau to the north. The active tectonics of Asia mean a high earthquake risk for many Himalayan communities. The steep mountain slopes and intense rainfall make landslides another hazard. These, combined with weak architectural choices, have led to major structural damage in Nepal. Learn about hazard assessment, risk reduction, and engineering geology, as well as climate change and hydropower. Engage with Nepali faculty and geology students from Nepal’s Tribhuvan University, who will also participate in the field portion of the program, subject to academic schedules. Students often become close with their fellow geology students from Nepal during the experience.
- Take a geologic trek in the Annapurna region of Nepal.
- Study a broad range of Earth processes and rock types
- Conduct research with expert faculty and professionals.
- Experience the hazards and benefits of living in a dynamic natural environment.
Please visit the SIT Study Abroad website
for details on the program courses (including syllabi), educational excursions, and housing.
- How mountain ranges form and continually transform
- Geoscience field research and observational methods
- How societal decisions affect geohazards faced by humans
- Aligning risk reduction with sustainable development
- Conducting and communicating about geoscience research
Be sure to discuss how study abroad costs are handled at your school with your study abroad advisor.
SIT tuition and room and board fees include the following:
- All educational costs, including educational excursions
- All accommodations and meals for the full program duration
- Transportation to and from the airport, and on all educational excursions
- Health and accident insurance
- SIT awards nearly $1.6 million in scholarships and grants annually.
- All scholarships and grants are need-based.
- Awards generally range from $500 to $5,000.
- Contact the financial aid and/or study abroad office(s) at your college or university to learn if your school’s scholarships and grants and federal and state aid programs can be applied to an SIT Study Abroad program.
SIT PROGRAM PROTECTION
In these uncertain times, you shouldn’t have to worry about your investment in SIT. Click here
to find out how you’re protected.
CONTACT SIT STUDY ABROAD