This program will take nursing and education students over two weeks to work with faculty and Kenya educators and healthcare providers in the provision of services to underserved people in Nairobi and Elementaita, Kenya. Students will work in urban and rural settings in collaboration with St. Mary's Mission Hospital System and other community-based organizations to provide education, nursing care, health promotion, and teaching activities at the hospital, clinics, high school, community, and/or orphanages
Faculty Members Suzanne Lugger and Lisa Fetters are Spring 2020 Program Leaders. In addition, Prof. Linda Knecht is a clinical Assistant professor from the School of Nursing and has led eight study abroad trips to Kenya. Each trip has furthered the partnership between UM-Flint Department of Nursing and St. Mary’s, Kenya. Program leaders remain in communication with St. Mary’s throughout the year.
• Junior Level undergraduates with minimum 2.5 GPA and consent of instructor
• Graduate students in good standing and consent of instructor
In spring 2020, undergraduate students will enroll in or INT391. Graduate students will enroll in INT 591.
There are three pre-travel sessions required, as well as one post-travel session.
The program fee is $1,942.63. The fee will cover housing, meals, ground transportation within Kenya, cultural excursions, and health insurance for the trip. The fee does not cover airfare, immunizations, tuition, or personal expenses. The fee will be paid to the University via the UM-Flint Cashiers Office. Students have the opportunity to apply for scholarships through IGS to help defray program fee costs.
Additional costs include: Tuition/fees, round trip airfare to Kenya, passport, immunizations.
• Application and Deposit: December 10, 2019
• 1/3 Program Fee: January 24, 2020
• 1/3 Program Fee: February 21, 2020
• 1/3 Program Fee: March 20, 2020
• Final program fee balance: Friday, March 20, 2020
• Submit all Pre-Travel Items: April 3, 2020
• Withdraw: January 24, 2020
Note: Program Fee installments may overlap and/or coincide with financial aid payments, scholarship disbursements, etc.
Therefore, please pay close attention when paying fees to both your student account (tuition, class fees) and your study abroad account (program fee, created with first deposit) as they are handled separately with Cashiers.
Be sure to send the Cashiers an email whenever you make an online payment towards your study abroad account.
Scholarships are available for degree-seeking UM-Flint students.
You must have 3.00 GPA minimum to qualify.
Your program application and recommendation will be reviewed for scholarship purposes.
Withdrawals must be submitted in M-Flint WorldLink (there is a process to withdraw in your application) or to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 11:59pm on January 24, 2020.
Students who withdraw after this date will be responsible for paying the full program fee.
- Nursing students: Contact Lisa Fetters (email@example.com) or Suzanne Lugger (firstname.lastname@example.org) for an application packet.
- If you are accepted, click "Apply Now" below to complete the application. A $100 non-refundable fee is required at the time of application. The fee must be submitted via check or money order—written to “UM-Flint”—and submitted to the Education Abroad Office located at 315 Thompson Library. Applications submitted without a deposit will not be considered.
The University may at any point cancel a program due to unforeseen reasons, including, but not limited to, low student enrollment and/or health and safety concerns in the host destination.